When it comes to writing, be it lyrics writing or internet marketing writing, you will find that you must be able to produce content for your song or website.
Some people are natural-born writers, all they have to do is hold a pen up to a paper and the words start flowing. And then there are people who struggle to write even a few paragraphs.
Developing your own unique writing style will help set your writing apart from others, even if you fall into the group of people that finds writing difficult. Here are five suggestions to help develop your writing style, be it for a book, for song lyrics, or for an online marketing campaign.
1. The best writers have a love of words and are avid readers. Believe it or not, reading is a great way to develop your writing style. The types of things you enjoy reading are probably things you would enjoy writing.
Reading other peoples’ writing will also give you insights into your own writing. As you read, some authors’ styles will seem to pop out at you as very good or very bad. You probably have a writing style similar to the authors you enjoy reading.
2. What are your writing strengths? Some people are great at writing news-oriented stories, while some people prefer to write reviews and opinion pieces. If you like to teach people things, your writing strength could be how-to articles. If you enjoy coming up with slogans and catchy headlines, you might be a natural when it comes to copywriting. There are many types of writing to explore. And keep in mind: your words need to sell as well.
3. In order to develop your writing style, you need to practice. Try writing something every day. The more you write, the easier it will get. Experiment with different styles and techniques. You will see some types of writing come easier to you. Blogs and journals are a great way to get writing practice.
These “practice writings” don’t need to be masterpieces, and you can delete what you write if you want. The point is to keep your writing muscles flexed by exercising them a little each day. Your natural strengths will come out as you try different forms of writing.
4. Embrace your personality and voice as you write. Use words that you would use when you speak. If your writing sounds unnatural and awkward, your reader will be turned off. Let your personality come out in your writing. Have a conversation with your readers as you would with someone you were speaking to face to face. If you like talking about certain subjects, write about them.
5. Free writing can also help you develop your unique style. Sit down in a quiet place and set a timer for five to ten minutes. Clear your head and start writing what comes to your mind, and keep writing until time runs out. Don’t worry about grammar or spelling. Just write whatever you think of. Correcting your work may be needed at a later stage.
When the timer goes off, read over what you have written. It may not make sense, but it can give you ideas for other things to write about.
Writing is a necessity, not only for an online business, also for creating good songs. Even if you think you will outsource your writing, it is still important for you to be able to put an article or blog post on the screen or reply to an email. Use some of the suggestions above to strengthen your writing skills and make your online business better for it or create great song lyrics.